Hello friends, I just wanted to say,
“Run the Race with God.”
I have just emailed the first proofs of my book back to the publisher. This brought to my remembrance some of the earlier anxieties that I experienced as a new writer. Not sure really what to do, nevertheless reading information on the web about publishing, I blindly started the process. Having faith in God, I hoped he would send me a good publisher, but I would take an agent also; I just wanted someone to want to read my book.
So many rejections, so many reasons; “Holy Spirit you have to help me through this. It’s beating me,” I cried out. God is true to his word though; he helped me keep writing, one more day; and he still is.
Eight months later, my first book is publishing, I have another book that I only recently finished the final re-write on, and the outline for a third. First, let me glorify God, who helped and helps me run the race; because without him, I could have not have kept going without my belief in him.
As for me, seven years ago, I decided to make God’s word true in my life; he used my husband to reveal to me, my love for writing. Sure, I will not say it is easy; if anything, the god of this world, sent others that were close to me to try and make me turn around. Such a mystery, why is one jealous and envious of those he or she says they care for; sometimes people close to you don’t want to see you better yourself. Just Keep Going!
Constantly, I told myself, “Zola if you are going to believe part of the bible. Jesus died for you…., why not believe it all.” That was my logical conclusion; there was only one thing to do. Read and study the bible and find out his promises for me. I found so many; but during the times of doubt and anxiety, but I told myself to run the race. I concentrated on these two:|
1st John 5:14-15 “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.”
And, my most favorite:
Prov 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”
Always, and still now I depend upon the Holy Spirit; he gives me ideas; sometimes, beautiful pictures, I put into backgrounds within my book. “God word is true,” I told myself, mostly on the day when doubt began to fill me.
My hope is that you who read this, allow him to lead you, even when it feels like nothing is working. This is my testimony, and so many others, if you allow him to show his faithfulness. Push forward each day, even when you do not feel like it.
Hebrews 6:11-13 tells me, “ And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end: 12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.”
Hold onto the promises he has placed deep within your heart, of blessing, and good things not bad.
Anyway, as I said when my first book published, I will join the others and try to give you some type of guidance.
1. Hold on to God’s dream; Be determined, ready to gut it out. Plans do not work out as you would like all of the time, or do not happen as you planned them, however, be prepared not to stop with your writing, even if disappointment arises. Trust in God, he is faithful.
2. Have the Holy Spirit help you, get serious about writing. My books are fiction and fantasy; they are not spiritual but always aim to glorify God in the end. Most an adaptation from experiences in my own life, the have an aspect of reality that others can relate to.
True to myself, I love to put a prettiness or fantasy spin on my writing. There are so many genres; see which way the Holy Spirit is leading you..
3. Initially let your imaginations run wild, the Holy Spirit will help you refine your manuscript. I always spend more time on rewrites than writing the original manuscript.
4. Have a good partner to help proof your work; my hubby is mine. The Holy Spirit helps uses him to help motivate me, and he is excellent at catching errors my eyes can no longer see. Close friends also are an idea. I know there are many writer guilds out there, too online; they have others willing to give you their opinion.
5. Don’t stop, when I felt discouragement, I asked the Holy Spirit to help, and read the bible; it lifted my spirits and I wrote another day. So finish your book to the best of your ability; make sure to go over the grammar and spelling. .
6. Ok, the tough part, this step in the process can take away your confidence and make you give up on your dream, if you let it. Mail out my query letters. Ok hint, make sure the query letter is proof read, and proof read; “Wow, did I even proof this letter,” lol. “Holy Spirit help me get the query letters right.”
Most literary agent sites have clear instructions on how to submit, so it is best to follow them.
7. What about a blog, let people know you are out there? Hmm, it can’t really hurt; everyone has an opinion about something or selling something, or just wanting attention; a lot are not very good or decent, why not put something good on the web that glorifies God. Someone will want to read it. I told myself; it turns out there are people out there. THANK YOU!!!
You can build yourself online with free sites; they are everywhere. However, I use WordPress. I asked the Holy Spirit to help me with the blog also; he sent help.
8. Run the Race, let Gods’ dream grow in your head. It is still growing in mine, but it is all good, regardless of what happens. I am not sure what tomorrow will hold but I do know with God, I will be all right; God working behind the scenes for me.
9. Finally, glorify God when the door way to your dream begins to open.